“I'd love to kiss ya, but I just washed my hair.” - Bette Davis
Your hair can define your style at a moments glance. Hair can have its own personality or enhance your personality based on how you style it, or don't. Hair can act as an accessory to your everyday look or be styled in a way that gives the perfect finishing touch to whatever it is you're wearing or wherever you may be going. Hair is incredible. Whether you like yours or not (which don't be silly- if you're blessed with any kind of mane, love it, appreciate it, and learn how to treat it.) We're going to give you some tips on how to take care of those locks of yours on a daily basis!
1. Dry, frizzy hair? (See recipe treatment below) Try to skip 1-3 days between cleansing. If you don't have excessively oily hair, chances are you can get away with this. Allow the oils from your scalp to nourish your roots and hair follicles. This will naturally condition your hair over time. If your hair seems greasy, you can use talcum powder or dry shampoo powder on your roots and brush through.
2. Limp, thin hair? Change to a different shampoo + Conditioner brand every 2-3 weeks for a few days or so. The switch gives hair more bounce, especially after that first wash!
3. Want more shine? After you condition your hair, run it through cold water to rinse it out. (You won't hate this during the summer but the winter, well that's a different story.) Cold water helps to close the cuticles on the hair follicles and gives hair a healthy, shiny appearance when dry.
Homemade Deep Conditioning Hair Treatment
- 1 cup of room temperature mayonnaise (MUST be room temperature!)
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3 egg yolks
- Blend all ingredients together in a bowl.
- Apply thoroughly throughout your hair adding extra to the ends.
- Pile hair on top of your head and cover with a plastic shower cap. Cover with a towel to help keep the heat locked in.
- Leave on for a minimum of 20 minutes. Overnight if you wish.
- Rinse REALLY well. Avoid shampoo after the first treatment, so it doesn't strip away the natural oils you just put in. You may use conditioner.
- Remember the cold water tip above when rinsing your hair with conditioner. This locks in the oils and will add even more shine to your hair follicles.
- I'm not going to lie. This doesn't smell great, but it's all natural products that really work in adding moisture back into your hair. Making sure you rinse thoroughly and using your favorite conditioner totally helps with this.